Is PMP Certification tough?
The PMP Certification Exam has been adjudged as one of the toughest exams on the face of this earth. The exam is considered difficult for the candidates who are answering the exam for the first time. The exam expects the candidates to answer two hundred multiple questions within a short span of four hours.
The exam questions are not even that easy that they can be answered within the said time period. The questions appear difficult because they test the candidate’s understanding of the different processes and concepts and the way they would apply these concepts in a real-world scenario. The exam focuses on the implementation due to which the exam is adjudged extremely difficult.
Some questions are purely theoretical, while some need calculation while there are others that require the candidates to plot a graph. Some questions test the practical application of the principles while some are direct questions that can be answered without prior preparation.
If you have been reading another article about the preparation for the PMP Certification Exam, you must know that the PMBOK Guide is the one and only most important book that is required to ace the test. A candidate needs to not only understand the various concepts explained in the book, but also memorize the content in order to pass the test with flying colors.
Let us take a look at the distribution of the questions in the examination question paper to know more about the difficulty of the paper:
- The domain of Closing makes up for 7%of the question
- The domain of Monitoring and Collecting makes up for 25% of the question
- The domain of Executing makes up for 31% of the questions asked
- Planning makes up for 24% of the questions asked in the paper
- The final 13% of the question paper is made up of the domain of Initiating
All these domains can be easily studied from the PMBOK Guide. A dedicated PMP Exam applicant needs to study the PMBOK guide, go through the PMP Exam Prep tests and then study the additional sources of material to ace the test.
Usually, such applicants sign up to get a PMP Study Guide. It might be an online or offline source, but the ultimate goal of such a guide is to make sure that the applicant is making progress in their study schedule in such a way that they are learning something new every single day. A good study plan is truly the actual secret of acing the test in the first attempt.
What exactly makes the exam so difficult?
- The difficulty of Questions: The questions asked in the exam are not only difficult to answer but also to understand. These questions are framed using difficult words and in a twisted manner. To understand the questions, one needs to answer multiple mock tests that are also made by the PMI.
- Exam Structure is very complex: The exam questions are very difficult to answer because the questions asked expect the candidate to answer the questions from any form of personal experience. Experienced project managers usually ace this test in their first attempt because they have a lot of on-field experience.
- Too much course material to cover: As mentioned before, this exam demands the candidate to complete an insane amount of material before answering the exam.
We hope that this article was able to provide you with the much-needed motivation to answer the PMP Certification exam. We hope that this article was able to inform you clearly about the level of preparation that any candidate should possess before answering the PMP Certification Exam.
For More Details About PMP Certification you Can Follow Us At
ExcelR – Data Science, Data Analytics Course Training in Bangalore
49, 1st Cross, 27th Main BTM Layout stage 1 Behind Tata Motors Bengaluru, Karnataka 560068
Author Name : Ram Tavva
Short Bio: Senior Data Scientist and Alumnus of IIM- C (Indian Institute of Management – Kolkata) with over 25 years of professional experience,Specialized in Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, and Machine Learning.
PMP Certified, ITIL Expert certified,APMG, PEOPLECERT and EXIN Accredited Trainer for all modules of ITIL till Expert,Trained over 3000+ professionals across the globe,Currently authoring a book on ITIL “ITIL MADE EASY”, Conducted myriad Project management and ITIL Process consulting engagements in various organizations. Performed maturity assessment, gap analysis and Project management process definition and end to end implementation of Project management best practices.
Author’s Website: https://www.excelr.com/
Author’s Twitter URL: https://twitter.com/ramtavva?s=09
Author’s LinkedIn URL: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ram-tavva/